God has given us the kingdom!
Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Luke 12:32-34 NIV
I love these instructions, but particularly that first line. “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.”
- has given us the kingdom. Isn’t that incredible? God’s desire was not to lord power over us. No, the kingdom has been given to us. It reminds me of the center verse of Matthew’s chiasm, “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven” (Matthew 18:18 NIV). We make decisions that implement God’s kingdom on earth. We have been given immense power. How will we use it?
- stores our treasures safely. We do not have to worry about what we give to God. He is not like the swine that will trample our treasures under their feet. Nope! He keeps them safely where they will never be worn out, stolen, or rotted.
- has given us reason not to fear. Praise God for that! Is it really wise to be fearless? It must be because we are told to be fearless often. Do not be afraid, God is sovereign and has given us financial security!
- have the ability, opportunity, and privilege to make God’s kingdom visible on earth. I am a part of that kingdom. I can live by its principles. It becomes me!
- have a really good bank! That really comforts me today. Yesterday I made a tough financial decision. It is comforting to have this reassurance today.
- can be fearless. I have been given the kingdom of God. Why should I fear?